Tuesday 1 February 2011

January 28: Parliament Again

Got up early to go back to Parliament today. It was horribly cold, so waiting outside and even in Westminster Hall was not fun, but oh well. It was worth the chilliness. That place is just amazing. The Hall is just so old and incredible, and it's crazy to think that I literally stood on the steps where William Wallace ("Braveheart") and Charles I were condemned to death, where Richard II held banquets, and where Queen Elizabeth has stood to make speeches. I just love the history. My favorite parts of the palace are the ceilings, I think. Many rooms are just covered in ceiling mosaics that are absolutely incredible, consisting of gold backgrounds with twining roses, shamrocks, and thistles, with the odd leek or two making an occasional appearance (Roses for England, Shamrocks for Ireland, Thistles for Scotland, and Leeks for Wales). I also LOVE the Tudor room, with the beautiful pictures of the Tudors and their favorites. After the tour, I had hoped to take a long walk in Hyde park, but it was just way too cold, so I curled up with a big cup of tea and my History readings and got those out of the way. Tomorrow will be a very, very busy day, so I'll go to bed early tonight.
Westminster Hall

Doorway and decorations of Westminster Hall- Those wooden beams are original to the building (that means they've been there since 1097!!!)

Plaque commemorating William Wallace ("Braveheart"), who was killed in nasty ways in 1305

I didn't even notice the plane in this picture till I put it on my computer! I was just so excited to see little bits of blue in the usually gray skies that I guess I missed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment