Wednesday 2 February 2011

January 31: WarHorse

In class today, my theatre professor told us about the show we would be seeing later tonight. He said it's based off a young adult book by a very famous author, and is extremely popular, especially among 14-15 year olds (who it's kind of written for). I was excited, but wary, since it's the story of a boy and his horse during World War I. The story goes, Joey the horse is sold into the cavalry and his 16-year-old owner Albert decides to join the army to look for his horse. Of course both experience all the horrors of the war. I was very nervous about going, since I really don't like sad stories. On the way to the theatre, of course my two friends and I had tube troubles, so we had to literally sprint to the Drury Lane Theatre from the tube stop. I'm honestly surprised we made it.

The show was beyond amazing. It somehow represented the unrepresentable. The actor playing the boy did get a bit too enthusiastic at some points, but he did a very good job. The horses were indescribably amazing. They're puppets, but not. They're so much more than just puppets! Three men controlled each horse, one bent over inside for the back legs, one bent over inside for the front legs, and one on the outside that controlled the head and did the horse noises. These "puppets" were so lifelike, within a few minutes I stopped thinking of them as 3 men and a puppet and really saw them as horses. Just incredible. Google "WarHorse puppets" and see what comes up. There should be a video showing the actors riding the "horses" down the street. I don't know how they did it, but wow. All the other actors in the show were wonderful as well, especially the man who played a German soldier who befriends the horses and tries to get out of the fighting. It does definitely have some very sad parts (I probably cried at least 4 or 5 times), but it's just an amazing show. SO GOOD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment