Tuesday 1 February 2011

January 29: Oxford!


Such a busy day! I got up early to get on the bus for a day trip to Oxford arranged by the program. Lots of people were travelling this weekend, so the group was much smaller than usual, which was really nice. Our guide for the bus trip wasn't exactly an optimistic sort (I don't think I ever saw him smile), but he gave us the information that we needed. The trip to Oxford was only about an hour and a half long, and we got to see some pretty English countryside, which basically translates as lots of rolling green hills covered in sheep. I couldn't get any pictures because the bus was moving too fast. I did see 3 foxes running across one field, and 3 deer in another. When we got to Oxford, we walked first to tour the different buildings and colleges (there are lots of different "colleges," which are like separate institutions that all combine to make the University as a whole). The town is really pretty in itself, and I would love to have a day or two to explore it properly some day. The colleges were beautiful. Some of the architecture is very grand and classical, and some is more whimsical, like the gates outside the building where commencement ceremonies are held, which are topped by many stone heads depicting men in togas and laurel wreaths with funny expressions. I loved the big central circular building surrounded by green grass. By the way, you're only allowed to walk on Oxford's lawns if you're a professor or an honored guest. There are lots of funny little traditions like that one. The city and colleges have lots of beautiful spires and rooftops that are very impressive.

We then had a break for lunch, so some friends and I took off to do a bit of shopping. The market in Oxford is small but lots of fun. You can buy souvenirs and clothing on one side of the path, and raw meat and fish on the the other. I got Erin a present at the market, but of course it has to be a surprise. I have to say, though, I like it so much, I may just keep it for myself (wink, wink)! Anyway, I was really glad I had packed myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich just in case, because it was so packed that I never could have gotten food there (by the way, a HUGE thank you to Nana and Papa, who sent me the wonderful peanut butter!). After lunch, we toured the most famous college on the campus, Christ Church College, which is gorgeous and probably best known as being the inspiration for Harry Potter's Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It was amazing. The architecture was incredible. I loved seeing the great hall, which is what the iconic great hall of Harry Potter is modeled after. The grounds were beautiful too. We finally returned home after it started getting dark.

The moment we got back, we all started changing like crazy, because the pub at the Imperial College Union (where we are honorary students) was having its once-yearly "America Night," and we had decided to represent our red, white and blue in force. We all dressed in patriotic colors, and some of the boys even found American flags to tie around their necks. It was a very fun night. God bless America!

Funny Face



Christ Church College


Hogwarts!


Inside Christ Church College

Dining Hall




Christ Church Cathedral


Red, white and blue! (This is my friend Sarah)

No comments:

Post a Comment