Friday 8 April 2011

April 7: Chicago...in London!

Today was a Good Day. I went shopping on Kensington High Street with some friends this morning, and got a new pink flowered skirt to wear this summer as well as a bright red pencil skirt that I'm guessing Erin will steal the moment I get home but for now I'll enjoy. I had History class this afternoon, which was incredibly, indescribably boring. We spent over an hour on the Suffrage movement alone, when we were supposed to hear about it for only 15 minutes. Ugh. We learned, in detail, all about this one Suffragette who was a bit radical and threw herself in front of a horse during a race and got smushed. It really helped the cause, giving them a martyr, but apparently she had bought herself a return train ticket, so it seems it was a publicity stunt gone wrong, not an intentional martyrdom. They now think she was trying to put a Suffragette banner around the neck of the King's horse. Apparently she didn't think about how the race-crazed thoroughbred would react to a lady waving a banner in front of it. Oops. Anyway, moral of the story: I learned lots of strange little facts about the women's rights movement.


After class, I decided I wanted to do something fun, so a friend and I took the tube to Leicester Square to find some theater tickets. I was able to get an amazing seat for Chicago, in the third row from the front, for 30 pounds. My friend had seen Chicago (in Chicago, coincidentally), so she got a ticket to Jersey Boys, which I saw a while ago. We went to dinner at the Italian place my family and I had gone to before we saw Les Miserables. It was just as amazing as the first time. I had a linguine in white sauce with sauteed mushrooms that was heavenly. After dinner, we had some time to kill, so we stopped at an ice cream place we'd seen. I had a scoop of fresh strawberry frozen yogurt that was heavenly. Chicago was incredible. I was 10 feet away from the all the action, so that made it even better. It was a really fun show to see live. The actors/dancers were all incredible. The two leads were especially amazing. The Velma was an older actress (probably in her 40s), which is pretty rare, but she obviously was picked for a reason. She could dance even better than the young girls around her, and apparently does the choreography as well. She kind of looked like Carol Burnett but she was a very good singer. The Roxie was beyond awesome. She just nailed the role. I can't imagine anyone doing a better job. I really, truly enjoyed myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment