Sunday 20 March 2011

March 14: Museums and Phantom

Dad and his girls outside of the National History Museum

This morning we set out to do the museums in Kensington. After a wonderful breakfast at our hotel, we walked over to the National History Museum. Mom loved all the detail inside the building, like I knew she would. Erin marvelled over the gems with me, and I think Dad thoroughly enjoyed the dinosaurs. I do wish someone would dust off the gem exhibit though. Some of them are so dirty you can hardly see what color they actually are. Poor Erin jumped like the little kids at the giant animatronic T-Rex, just like I hoped. Every time we go to Disney World, she screams bloody murder on the Dinosaur ride. For some reason the big dinos scare the living daylights out of her. She wasn't expecting one in London!

A pretty panel on the ceiling of the Natural History Museum

We ate our sandwiches on a bench outside the Victoria and Albert Museum. Peanut butter and cigarette smoke is what we had, courtesy of some disgustingly rude Italians sitting next to us. Inside, Erin wanted to go at her usual "Museum Pace" (slow) but I knew we wouldn't have time for that so I gave Mom and Dad the V&A in 1 hour tour. They liked the cast room and the statues along the back wall. Mom loved the Near East exhibits like I do. They're full of beautiful, exotic objects. She really liked the carved wooden screens that once hung in mosques. Erin did the Italian Renaissance etc. room, but that's all she got through. I hope we get to come back here later in the week, but I doubt we'll be able to. She'll just have to come back next time to see the rest.

At 2, Erin and I met my theater class for a field trip. The professor had invited her along when he heard she was coming. I really like him a lot. We walked all over an old theater district,  starting at Embankment. It was cold, but he's a great prof so it was fun. We saw the actor Matthew Fox walking out of the back door of a theater he's performing at. Meanwhile, Mom and Dad went over by Westminster to do the Churchill War Rooms. Sounds like they loved it. We met up with them at 4 and headed over to the tkts booth in Leicester Square to get tickets to Phantom. We found a Wagamama for dinner. I had a spicy butternut squash curry, Mom had a super spicy chicken soup, Dad had a salmon and noodle dish, and Erin had my favorite yaki soba noodles. We all rotated plates so nobody's face melted off. Mom's was really, really hot, but it was nice because it was sooo cold outside.

Erin and I had seats about 6 or 7 rows back from the stage. The seats next to us were empty, so after awhile we just slid to the center. It was perfect. Mom and Dad were up one level, but still had great seats. The show was amazing. We had the 3rd-tier understudy for Christine, but she was wonderful. I was really impressed. The Phantom was beyond awesome, and the Raoul, who was the understudy, was also phenomenal. The Carlotta and Andre were also especially good. We had an absolutely lovely time.

No comments:

Post a Comment