Sunday 20 March 2011

March 3: Back to Rome

Collapsed into bed last night and took a Tylenol PM to make me sleep. My Japanese roommate and I thought we had lucked out and not gotten a 3rd girl in our room but at midnight the proprietor came in and informed us that a young man named Franco would be sleeping there. I do not much like the proprietor. Anyway, Franco was nice and seemed decent so I rolled over and passed out. Got up and was on the train by 8:30, left at 9:13. It was raining lightly, but not bad. The ride was pretty uneventful. I did see a knocked over dead cornfield with a pheasant picking through it, which I thought was funny. It reminded me of North Dakota. I saw a lot of scratching chickens and sleepy sheep. By the time I got to Termini Station in Rome, I was exhausted. I ate a peanut butter and chocolate chip sandwich for lunch with Amanda at the hostel (which is great) and we went out to find a neat-looking church on our map called San Giovani in Laterano.

The rain held off just till we got there. The church was very big and very, very pretty. The outside had statues of Jesus and the Apostles and a few extra saints. We decided to walk back past the Colosseum, but a big add printed on our map on top of the area we needed got us lost. We were off our map and very confused but with my compass we found our way eventually. We went back and took a nap because we were wet, sweaty and exhausted after our longer than expected excursion. Woke up at 5:30 for pizza from our favorite vendor. I'm pretty sure it was the best pizza I've ever had. It had big chunks of seasoned mushrooms and artichoke, and the cheese was white and soft and mild and wonderful. This meal has tied with my bacon and sausage pasta for best meal in Italy. SO good! I took a shower in the wonderful, CLEAN shower here and can't wait to sleep tonight. I'm so exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment