Tuesday 22 March 2011

March 22: A play and a celebrity sighting (?)

Well, class this morning was kind of funny. The class idiot (really, this guy is STOOPID) did something rather hilarious. Our professor has devoted 6 hours of instruction to teaching us the history behind the "troubles in Ireland," so of course we've been shocked to learn the true extent of the horrors and destruction and bloodshed that happened not so long ago. When the professor was talking about US Senator Mitchell who was sent over as a neutral negotiator, he asked us, "Have you ever heard of Senator Mitchell? He's a hero here. He also was involved with the inquiry into the baseball steroid use?" The class idiot replied "Oh, yeah, I've heard of him. I know who he is." The professor then said, "Right, right. Not quite the same amount of tension in the two issues, eh?" The idiot replied: "Well, I'd say there was about the same amount of tension, it just wasn't as warranted." There was an audible gasp from the class. This is not the first time this fellow has embarrassed us in front of this professor. Just a few weeks ago he compared the monarchy to McDonalds. Like I said, STOOPID! Other than that, it was an uneventful class. In the afternoon we watched an odd documentary about street art and were assigned to find two examples of London street art we like and two we don't like. This will be a hard one for me. I can't say I'm the world's biggest fan of graffiti, and anyway Kensington is too posh to have any.

This evening we set out for a play over in Hammersmith at the Lyric Theatre, called "Mogadishu." On the way there is where the day's true excitement happened: I'm pretty sure we passed Mr. Johnny Depp. And by "pretty sure," I mean I'm about 99.9% positive, I just haven't managed to locate where he is right now so I can't confirm it, and I was the only one who saw him. We were just crossing the street to get to the theater and in the big crowd walking past us was this man wearing a well-made khaki blazer and a dark fedora. He had very slight but still present facial hair and curly dark hair at just the right length sticking out from under his hat. He was wearing a heavy chain tucked under his shirt and a big ring on his right hand set with a dark oval stone that I saw when he brushed his hair back. He was carrying a few papers in his left hand, and I think he was wearing glasses. As he got closer, I thought I recognized him, so I slowed and as he passed me, he looked me straight in the face. I got the distinct impression he was thinking, "Is this girl going to make a fuss?" and when I didn't he just kept walking. I am almost positive it was him. The movements and expression were the same I have watched on screen a million times before. I tried to tell my friends but they didn't hear me and now we're all trying to figure out if he's in London right now, but so far no confirmation. Really, for all I know the man could be in Australia right now and I just saw a clone. But. This was a darn good clone!

Anyway, the play was not exactly wonderful. It's been getting good hype but I wasn't very excited to go see it, since I knew it was the story of a white teacher who gets hit by a black student but doesn't want to report him because she's nice and doesn't want to ruin his life, but the student turns the story around and accuses her of assault and racism even though everyone knows he's a rotter. The first act was actually pretty good, but the second act really disappointed me. The actors were good, but the play ended horribly. The truth came out, but then the black student, who had by this point proved himself a truly horrible, irredeemable human being, hung himself with his school uniform. It just didn't seem to have a point. There was just tons and tons of absolutely pointless violence. I did not enjoy it. Now, I'm going to go get my lovely children's book and read that before I go to bed. That is, after I put away the cookies Mom brought me from Helen and Agee. If I put away the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment