Sunday 20 March 2011

March 15: The British Museum

I had class this morning at 9:30, so I sent everybody off to the British Museum. When my class finished at 12:30, I hopped on the tube and met them there for lunch. They'd spent all morning in the Egyptian Hall (surprise, surprise!). Mom and I left to go to the Soane Museum, a private museum I needed to visit for a class. We had no clue what to expect. It was pretty amazing. It was the private collection of a rather eccentric man, Sir John Soane, who was an architect and professor who loved ancient artifacts and teaching. His collection is displayed in his home, a house of his own devising, made to show off his artwork. This house was jam-packed with wonderful and beautiful marble busts, bronze statues, oil and watercolor paintings, and every kind of art imaginable. It was just everywhere! I thought the best piece was the alabaster sarcophagus of Seti I. Courtesy of Erin, I know quite a bit about ol' Seti I, who was a pretty important fellow back around 1290 BC. He was a super general, and I saw his mummy in Cairo. For the John Soane museum to have his sarcophagus is a big deal. Apparently, Soane bought it when the British Museum rejected it for being too expensive. I bet they're kicking themselves.

Mom and I walked through some really pretty gardens back to the British Museum. We collected my father and went through my favorite area, the one with the Assyrian artifacts. I love the big winged guardians, and really love the lion hunt frieze. I think Dad liked that area, too. We collected Erin, got some ice cream outside, then went up to the second level to do the Greek-Roman-Europe-Britain sections. I had to keep pushing Erin along, but we made it. It's so much fun to walk through there. Mom's favorite has always been the Sutton Hoo treasure, so we spent some time marvelling in that room. Dad found something shiny he liked around every corner. By the end, my feet were dead but it was fun.

Dad channeling King Ashurbanipal

Just in case the arrow in the forehead and the
sword through the heart didn't finish the lion 
off, Ashubanipal's got to strangle him, too.

Nebamun hunting waterfowl: I studied this panel in Art History
Erin and me in front of the British Museum

Dad wanted to explore and find a pub or two, so Mom and Erin and I headed home. We stopped at the Earl's Court Pub for dinner. I had a really great curry, and Mom and Erin had some pretty good fish and chips (not as good as George's though, where we'll go on Saturday). Dad came back a while ago after having a blast. He reeeally likes England, I think. Everyone is very much ready for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment